Here is our guide to translation at Planet Veritas
Translation is not about replacing one word with another in the target language as many seem to believe, it is about conveying the meaning, sense and ideas of the text, and this is something a machine can never achieve.
In order to create a professional translation, the vital ingredients are: skill; aptitude; experience and analysis are fundamental. A machine translation cannot convey the feeling, emotion cultural nuances or context as a human can.
It will just give word for word translations which are completely inaccurate and embarrassingly wrong for the user and insulting for the reader. By using Planet Veritas, you can be sure that you will receive a document that has been translated to the highest standards in the industry.
Translation is an art as we all know but there is a fundamental process that must be followed and any translator worth their salt would be able to explain what the SKOPOS Theory means. This theory was developed by Reiss & Vermeer.
An example of machine translation:
When imputing Charles Dickens opening sentences of ‘A tale of two cities’ in French and translating it into English this is what you get:
‘It was the best times(weathers), it was the worst times(weathers), it was the era of wisdom, it was the era of silly thing, it was the time(period) of faith, it was the time(period) of the incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of the darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had any front we had nothing in front of we went all directly to the paradise, we went all directly to the other sense(direction).’
Not quite the melodious, beautiful flowing words that Charles Dickens wrote that’s for sure!
‘It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way–in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.’
For further information on our service levels go to the translation services page.
As part of our service you can expect:
- A free quote and agreed deadline for your project.
- To work with a Project Manager who will be your point of contact from the beginning to the end of your project. They will work closely with you to accommodate all of your needs and requirements during the project.
- To have your translation completed by one of our highly vetted professional translators which our highly experienced project managers will select. All our translators are qualified to at least degree standard and have at least 5 years’ experience in their field of expertise. We are proud to have the highest vetting standards in the language industry.
- All of our translators will ALWAYS work into their native language.
- Where necessary a specialised and experienced team of translators formed by our knowledgeable project managers is possible if you have a large project/assignment.
- Guaranteed delivery by an agreed deadline.
Vetting our professional linguists
Globally recognised for quality and professionalism
Planet Veritas is a language services provider managed by fully trained linguists, so vetting our linguists is very important to us. All our in-house Project Managers are language graduates. This gives us a profound academic awareness of the process of translation and interpreting and means we are ideally placed to offer our customers the very best service and advice. We understand what to look for in a translator. Having translated and spoken other languages, we fully understand the skills involved. We are all qualified language geeks!